May 22, 2011

Switching from Ubuntu to debian

Having run Ubuntu for quite a while now I decided to upgrade to 11.04 with full knowledge of unity being the new desktop. I can see a lot of potential in unity especially for novice users and as such I do not denounce unity.

But for now I cannot get used to it myself. And so I decided to try debian yet again.

I started using Linux a long time ago installing Red Hat 4.2 on a Pentium Classic PC. Since then I have tried the newer Red Hat versions but I never went with the Fedora crew. I have also tried SuSE and arch for brief periods of time. And then I've been running Ubuntu since 8.04 up to and including 11.04. Oh and then I have a couple of firewalls runninf *bsd based pfSense.

But now it is back to debian 6.

The computer I am installing this on is an Intel Pentium T4500 based Acer Aspire 5738zg laptop.

As I had Ubuntu running on it and Acer uses 3 of the maximum 4 primary partition possible I had to erase the Ubuntu partitions before being able to create the necessary debian partitions. I would have liked to resize the Windows 7 partition to allow a little more than the about 100 GBs that Ubuntu had but because the NTFS partition was not 'clean' it was not possible. And as I had removed the Ubuntu partitions, grub complained that partition(s) were missing so it wouldn't even allow me to boot into Windows. So for now I will settle for this space.

Usually I have been shying away from the single partition scheme keeping /home on its on partition, but last time I partitioned I kept with just one giant partition plus the swap partition. This time I am going back to having seperate root and /home partitions.

I opted to let debian select the partition sizes, giving 3.6 GB to swap, 10 GB to root and about 86 GB to /home.

Unfortunately it seems that the debian installation is not able to initialize my Atheros based WLAN card properly, so it would not connect to my WPA secured wireless network.

No comments: