September 18, 2007

HomeServer part 3

I have been away from the post a couple of days. Other things had more urgency and/or priority.

Continuing on the HomeServer project:

I have had a look at the harddisk which will hold the very first instalment of the HomeServer project and although I thought I had an 8 GB drive it seems that it is only a 4.3 GB drive. This does not stop the project as this - initially - is more than we need.

Software needed:

first off we need a base on which to build everything on. As this blog is on Linux you have probably guessed that I will not choose Microsoft Windows (tm) for this project. But almost any *nix would be an excellent choice. Maybe one of the *BSDs around would have been the obvious choice but as I have no experience on BSD I would rather not choose that. Which leaves us with ; Linux.

I have tried a few Linux distributions and they have all had their contribution to making Linux a better product. But I am going to select ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) for the job. This choice is made on the basis of three major reasons.

1. ubuntu is based upon debian which has a reputation of a conservative but rock solid distribution that is well proven and tested. Ideal for a server
2. ubuntu has newer versions of software bundled than debian. You might say that ubuntu is a solid performer with an edge.
3. ubuntu uses the .deb packaging system for updates.


The firewall
Linux has built-in firewall and routing capabilities right out of the box, ipchains up to kernel 2.4 and iptables since the 2.3 kernel series. administering netfilter though can be quite tricky and complicated.

I am currently researching shorewall and will post my findings in a later blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Luckily I have been able to aquire some "new" (read used) spare parts for the HomeServer project. Have a look at part 4 of this series.