September 10, 2007

Welcome to my blog

Hi and welcome to my blog on Linux!

This blog will contain ramblings, tips, etc about and my experiences with Linux.

I have been using Linux for more than 6 years now and have had some experience with using it but little experience programming on the *nix platform. All this will change soon enough.

My Linux use has been both as a desktop and for server purposes both at home and at a few (small) installations that I have had the joy to administer.

Currently I am admin'ing a small internet cafe. This setup comprises of Windows machines (Win XP Home) as client machines, (Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional) as administrative machines and Linux machines as server and firewall.

This cafe runs the SmartLaunch [SL] system (http://www.smartlaunch.net) which uses Windows as its platform for both clients, admin and server machines. The client machines needs to run Windows as they run the games that the public wants. The admin machines will most likely keep running on windows as this is what most of the employees know. My plans for the server is to move it to a Linux machine, that will partly run Samba to serve the WinBoxes with files, MySQL to serve the [SL] server with an SQL service and then I would like to move the [SL] server itself to a VMWare Virtual Machine running WinXP Pro on a Linux host OS.

Later a dedicated Gameserver for hosting CounterStrike, Day of Defeat, etc based games wil be added.

No comments: