April 07, 2009

Grabbing video off a DVD-video camera...

Having bought a DVD Video camera a little while back I now have 8 mini-DVDRWs (8 cm DVDRW discs) with recordings on. I would like to edit those into (a) DVD(s) that I could give to family and friends.

BUT. So far I have not been able to acquire the contents of these mini-DVDRWs without losing quality. As I would like to preserve my raw footage I can not ReWrite those discs and thus I am stuck with a camera with no recording ability. I could ofcourse buy more discs, but that would only postpone my problem.

So far I have looked at programs like dvd::rip, acidrip etc, but they all have the fault (for my purpose) of transcoding the video data to a lesser quality in order to save space.

I have thought about, and have done a series of .iso files to store the content of these discs but have resisted to erase them as my fear of losing an .iso file before I have had time to work on it.

Now time is working against me, as I need the discs for this easter, starting early tomorrow morning.

I need to have a look at k9copy which seems right for my purpose. I am currently running Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope and I hope I can get a stable copy of it today, so that I can start rewriting those discs tonight.

So now (11:17 am, April 7th, 2009) I am waiting for the package-manager to download and install k9copy on my computer. I will get back to you for an update later today.

No comments: