April 03, 2009

WLAN problems in Jaunty Alpha6

I decided to install the Jaunty Jackalope (the coming Ubuntu 9.04) on my laptop. So far I haven't experienced any glitches, except for my Wireless LAN.

The builtin WLAN card in the Acer TravelMate 2492 I am using is based on a Broadcom chipset. The chipset is recognised and I can download the proprietary hardware driver which seems to work - but doesn't.

I usually get a connection speed of 36-54 Mbit/s, both in Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. Initially in 9.04 I get 48 and even 54 Mbit/s connection, but it quickly drops to 1 Mbit/s without any throughput. We are running WEP as the encryption (not very safe, I know - I am planning to replace it :-)

Luckily I have a D-Link N class PC-Card (DWA-645) which Ubuntu recognizes and that works perfectly and without proprietary drivers :-)

So far I have found no solutions (other than using the D-Link card). Does anyone have any pointers for me?

No comments: