March 27, 2010

Anaytics4Android moving forward ...

After a lot of problems getting eclipse to run with the Android Development Tools (see this post: ) I have been doing a bit of refactoring of my Analytics4Android code today. The refactoring was to streamline the way I handle Google logins and accounts to that I can re-use that code in other projects.

Thus there has been no 'feature enhancements' but the minor version number has been incremented.

Currently I am working on two fronts;

  1. Redesigning the UI to a Tabbed View.
  2. Refactoring to allow re-use of code in future, google-account-related projects.
re 1)
I have hit a snag somewhere that others have reported. I am not sure if this is a problem with the ADT or eclipse or both. The Tabbed View throws an exception in eclipse when designing/instantiating the layout.xml file. Furthermore my app throws an exception when run in both the emulator and in my HTC Hero (Android 1.5). If these are related or it is a coincidence I am not sure. Further investigations and test projects are in the making

re 2)
When I started this project I was (and still am) learning both Android development, the Google Data APIs and re-learning Java. So my ideas have not always been efficient with code re-use in mind. Some parts need to be further refined to allow code re-use better and I am constantly reviewing my code with this in mind. This leads to further re-factoring and thus less forward motion feature-wise. I hope that you will have some patience with me,

Tomorrow I will circumvent the UI issues and start concentrating on getting the Analytics Profiles upon successful authentication. I am going to (temporarily) hard code the use of my own Google and Analytics account to be able to move forward.

During the start of next week I will have a look at a few exploratory projects on how to get the Tab View part right.

During Easter the project is on hold. I am away on some Family engagements and will most likely not be bringing my laptop.

No comments: