March 25, 2010

My first bug filing - Nautilus hanging on opening Trash - bug # 544859 :-)

I filed my very first bug on Lanchpad on Tuesday (23rd of March 2010). My Nautilus hangs (bug #544859) (apparently in an infinite loop) when I open Trash. It uses a lot of CPU and greys the window after about 5 secs. Only way out is to force quit the window. I haven't reproduced this fault in any other "places" than Trash.

I have filed a backtrace and it appears to be a memory allocation problem so I need to provide a valgrind log as well. I have scheduled this for tonight (sorry for lagging, Pedro & community).

This is what testing Alpha & Beta software is all about. Using (and sometimes abusing) the system and report findings back. That is how we get a new stable production version of Ubuntu/Debian/OpenSUSE/insert-your-favourite-distribution-here. It is exciting to be a part of this :-)

The developer who grabbed the bug report, Pedro, has been swift in his replies (a lot swifter than my re-replies) and I Thank You, Pedro, for your time and patience :-)

No comments: