March 25, 2010

Solving my problem with Eclipse !!! [SOLVED]

Last Update 25/3 21:56 - problem solved

In my efforts to solve my problems with Eclipse and Android working on my Ubuntu Linux 10.04 lucid lynx Beta 1(and earlier Alphs 3) I decided to remove Eclipse completely using synaptic and marking eclipse and its components for "Complete Removal".

I deleted the workspaces I had lying around and I went on a hunt for any eclipse-related (config) files with # sudo find / -name *eclips*

Apart from files in ~/.mozilla/eclipse/ (permissions.sqlite, places.sqlite, places.sqlite-journal and prefs.js) that I dare not delete and some files in Trash (that I am not able to empty, as Nautilus hangs when opening Trash (bug #544859 for which I need to do a valgrind run - will do that tonight)) I seem to be free of eclipse-related files.

So I will once more try to install eclipse from the Ubuntu repositories with

# sudo apt-get install eclipse

and then pray for the best. See you at the other side ;-)

Update (13:48):

Excerpt from the above # sudo apt-get install eclipse :


0 upgraded, 59 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 230MB of archives.
After this operation, 361MB of additional disk space will be used.

Good thing that the University 'net connection is behaving today - doing from ~180 KBytes/s and upwards :-)

Update (13:53)
Well. Still having the same problems. Sigh. Eclipse looks for https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ which it does not find. Now what?

Update (21:56)
It seems that there was already bug filed in Launchpad: eclipse unable to 'install new software' (bug #541482). Somehow I just missed it :-s

It is a problem with the network stack, and if you force java to use the IPv4 stack by adding the following to your eclipse (when starting it):


-vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

things are back to normal. Great! Problem Solved!

PS.
thus having the line


eclipse -vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

in the launcher does the trick!

No comments: