March 18, 2010

Switching to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

As I wrote yesterday, my laptop is running an Ubuntu 9.10 that has basically been around since 7.10 or 8.04 and has been incrementally upgraded through 8.10, 9.04 and lately 9.10. And I have installed and removed a number of programs. Which all means that there must be residual files, that are no longer needed.

The laptop is not a new machine as you can imagine. The battery is getting closer to the end of it\s life cycle as it has maybe 20-25% of it's capacity left giving about 20 mins of standard work (no heavy I/O esp optical drive, not full CPU load).


The hard disc drive is a mere 60 GB and my Ubuntu co-habits with a Windows XP installation as well as the pre-load/recovery partition. All-in-all this leaves just under 20 GB for Ubuntu. As I have 1.5 GB of memory onboard I have allocated just over 1.5 GB for the swap partition so that it is possible to suspend to disc. So that leaves about 18 GB for both the / and /home partitions. This is currently split 6/12 GB which I think I will keep for the time being.

I need the following software packages for my everyday use:
  • Internet
    • Firefox
    • Chromium
  • Office/productivity
    • Evolution
    • OpenOffice
  • Programming
    • Eclipse
    • Android SDK
In addition I need the following programs often enough that I am going to put them on my laptop:
  • Graphics
    • GIMP
  • Internet
    • Skype
    • Empathy
    • Ubuntu One
    • XChat
  • Sound & Video
    • Gnome Subtitles
    • NtEd or GNU Denemo
    • OpenShot Video Editor
    • Pitivi Video Editor
  • System Tools
    • Virtual Box
    • Wine
    • Test Drive
Luckily a number of these programmes are already present on the standard Lucid Lynx installation:
  • Internet
    • Empathy
    • Firefox
    • Ubuntu One
  • Office/Productivity
    • OpenOffice
    • Evolution
  •  Sound & Video
    • Pitivi Video Editor
Most of the remaining programmes are available as packages, only the Android SDK is not.

I have been wondering whether I should install Eclipse as a .deb package or from the .tar.gz-ball from the Eclipse web site. I think I will end up installing the Ubuntu .deb package, leaving only the Android SDK to be installed from .tar.gz

I also plan to remove the games.

I am writing this blog on the Live CD of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha 3 and while I have only used it briefly it seems to be working reasonably well.

Before I am going to re/install, I need to make a backup of my important files from my /home.

I will return with a review of Lucid Lynx in a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Codfather said...

The Beta of 10.04 is being launched today, so it would probably make sense to get that when it is released. It's not on the site yet.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/lucid/

Nick

Unknown said...

Seems like a sensible idea! I will be looking at the cdimage server from time to time tonight.

Jan